EYE OF HORUS - The independent DOCTOR WHO resource - link to front page
Link to EYE OF HORUS HOME Link to DOCTOR WHO NEW SERIES 7 Link to DOCTOR WHO CLASSIC SERIES Link to DOCTOR WHO NEWS Link to EXCLUSIVE COMPETITIONS + EDITORIAL FEATURES Link to REVIEWS - DVD + AUDIO + PRINT Link to AMAZON.CO.UK - DOCTOR WHO official store Link to SEARCH within eyeofhorus.org.uk
DOCTOR WHO SERIES ONE
SERIES ONE HOME - ABOUT THE SHOW
EPISODE GUIDE
DOCTOR WHO CONFIDENTIAL
PROMOTIONAL TV TRAILERS
CAST BIOGRAPHIES
MARCH-JUNE 2005
(aka DOCTOR WHO SEASON 27)
EPISODE GUIDE
SERIES 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 2009/10 SPECIALS
SERIES 5 | 6 | 7 | 2013 SPECIALS
BAD WOLF by Russell T Davies
12 - BAD WOLF (Episode photos below)

"...that beam was 15 times more powerful which means
this isn't just a game. There's something going on.
Here's the latest update from the Big Brother house..."

PLOTLINE

If Autons, Gelth and Slitheen weren't enough for both Earth and the Doctor to deal with, he has to cope with the ultimate invasion of Earth.

How will Rose be able to help him, and her own planet?

EPISODE TWELVE REVIEW Spoilers ahead

When the trailer for this episode aired the previous week, my heart sank into my boots and for several seconds I lost the will to live: the Doctor in BIG BROTHER. The spirit of JNT was probably looking down, grinning as he bellowed "That's the way to do it, Russell! Now go all the way and wheel out Ken Dodd!" In short, my expectations were rock bottom: it occurred to me that the new series was perhaps due an equivalent to THE HORNS OF NIMON sooner or later.

As Saturday neared, I thought this would be Clunker City. The episode aired: and my worse fears were confirmed in several respects as the story could be read as a celebration of crud TV. The Doctor put it best: "You've got to be kidding" But the cliffhanger really saved it for me. Ah yes...

Still, as a shameless fanboy, I also picked up elements that reminded me of Hartnell and Troughton at their best (namely, THE CELESTIAL TOYMAKER and THE MIND ROBBER) with the TARDIS crew thrust into a strange environment for no immediately apparent reason but it later becomes clear that they are the subjects of an evil game. The more obvious connection with the shows history is perhaps VENGEANCE ON VAROS (broadcasting executions as entertainment). But this is an exercise that does the new show an injustice because the 21st century incarnation has an unprecedented sophistication.

This story is set 100 years after the events in THE LONG GAME and in the same location (the broadcast satellite where we last saw Simon Pegg and his ceiling-hugging alien blob boss go splat), which by happy coincidence means that the sets can be re-used, of course. Yes, I'm that cynical. But the story told on these old sets crept up on me and held me fast. Rose turns up on the new lethal version of the THE WEAKEST LINK (nice to see Paterson Joseph as Rodrick, the guy has real presence and deserves better than this briefing showing) as Jack wakes up on a magnificently kinky (or plain twisted: "Your viewing figures just went up!") translation of the Trinny and Susannah make-over show.

Davina McCall, Anne Robinson and Trinny & Susannah all provide the voices for their android equivalents and so whoopy-bloody-doo. What will American fans make of this? This approach is very dangerous because, by including the actual symptoms of the crass disease of modern subterranean-market television, it descends from satire to advertisement, not contributing to the solution (working to raise the quality bar) and becoming part of the problem (by in effect promoting its satirical targets).

But there are so many human touches, clever character flourishes and witty moments in this story that my irritation slowly thawed to a genial wince now and then. The sad little question from BB housemate Lynda: "Am I popular?" Jack, stark naked and at the mercy of the two android intent on dismembering him, reaching behind him to produce a small laser pistol --- only where the hell was it concealed ("You don't want to know"). The Doctors obvious affection for Lynda and her reciprocation of his feelings was a nice surprise. Rose spotting the symbolic recurrence of Bad Wolf on her own (without direction from the Doctor). The Doctor declaring " I never paid for my [TV] licence"; again, I wondered what American fans would make of that. Jack's parting quip after blasting the T&S droids, "The pleasure was all mine. Which is the only thing that matters in the end." The Doctor likes telly ("Bear with me"). Rose's apparent death was a genuine shocker to me (unlike most fans, I deliberately avoid a lot of the press coverage and so was not sure whether Rose actually made it to the end of the season!).

One plot twist in particular made my laugh out out loud at the implicit conceit and I am not sure whether Russell was being ironic. It turns out that the Doctors intervention 100 years ago caused a cultural vacuum after he disabled the satellite station because society could not go on with out its electronic mass media - oh really? Gosh, I had no idea telly was that important. Again, this satirical touch can be read a number of ways because the target is not clear.

The biggest revelation - that the Daleks were behind the cultural decay of mankind with a view to turning the human race into a new Dalek nation - was no surprise simply because I could not avoid all the spoilers in the press. Damn it. OK, articles such as this review contribute to the spoiler environment but in this case appear in a medium (a dedicated website) which one would reasonably expect to be the focus of well-informed fans.

As finales go, this episode features my all-time favourite (by a wide margin) cliffhanger in the shows history. If I mapped my enthusiasm for this episode on a graph, it would consist of horizontal line up until the last ten minutes or so at which point the line would shoot up into the stratosphere! My heart jumped when we rejoined Rose (and Billie Piper really is utterly adorable in the part) as she wakes up on a Dalek mothership - the familiar, pulsing electronic throb in the background - and we pull back to see Daleks ... all over the place! This is what a Dalek crew should look like! Tears of joy prickled these tired old eyes: I at least can say that I lived long enough to see the realization of a Dalek fleet on screen!

The finest moment came when the Doctor, faced with the news that the Daleks are going to invade the Earth, using Rose as their hostage, and hopelessly outnumbered, nevertheless lays down the law:

DOCTOR WHO: I'm going to rescue her .. I'm going to save the Earth ...I'm going to wipe every stinking Dalek out the sky! Rose - I'm coming to get you.

This was Eccleston at his best: with that speech, he owned the character.

4/5 - it would have been 3/5 but the cliffhanger made me tingle all over! No, really...

Things to look out for...

DOCTOR WHO FOLKLORE Pending

DOCTOR WHO FOLKLORE Pending

CONTINUTY We're still checking.

BAD WOLF - The GAME STATION hangs above a changed planet Earth
BAD WOLF - The Doctor is transmatted into theBIG BROTHER house and awaits eviction news

BAD WOLF - Rose Tyler meets Anne Droid on THE WEAKEST LINK
BAD WOLF - Captain Jack Harkness is told WHAT NOT TO WEAR
BAD WOLF - The Doctor tries to save another live
BAD WOLF - The Doctor is arrested and has a few mugshots taken
BAD WOLF - The Game Controller is released and comes face to eye-stalk with her 'masters'
BAD WOLF - The Doctor confronts over 500,000 daleks with one aim
Review - SIMON CUNNINGTON
EOH RATING

Rated 5/5

CAST
DOCTOR WHO
Christopher Eccleston
ROSE TYLER
Billie Piper
RODERICK
Paterson Joseph
CAPTAIN JACK HARKNESS
John Barrowman
JACKIE TYLER
Camille Coduri
MICKEY SMITH
Noel Clarke
STROOD
Jamie Bradley
CROSBIE
Abi Eniola
COLLEEN
Kate Loustau
AGORAX
Dominic Burges
FITCH
Karren Winchester
MALE PROGRAMMER
  Jo Stone-Fewings
FEMALE PROG.
  Nisha Nayer
LYNDA MOSS
  Jo Joyner
CONTROLLER
  Martha Cope
SECURITY GUARD
  Sam Callis

Daleks originally created by
TERRY NATION

PRODUCTION CREW
1st ASSISTANT DIRECTOR
George Gerwitz
2nd ASSISTANT DIRECTOR
Steffan Morris
3rd ASSISTANT DIRECTOR
Dafydd Rhys Parry
LOCATION MANAGER
Clive Evans
PROD.
CO-ORDINATOR
Dathyl Evans
PROD. ACCOUNTANTS
Debi Griffiths
Kath Blackman
CONTINUITY
Sian Prosser
SCRIPT EDITOR
Helen Raynor
Elwen Rowlands
CHOREGRAHPER
Ailsa Aliena-Bark
CAMERA OPERATOR
Mike Costello
Martin Stephens
FOCUS PULLERS
Steve Lawes
Mark Isaac
GRIP
John Robinson
SOUND RECORDIST
Ian Richardson
BOOM OPERATOR
  Damian Richardson
GAFFER
  Mark Hutchings
BEST BOY
  Peter Chester
STUNT
CO-ORDINATOR
  Rod Woodruff
PROD. BUYER
  Catherine Samuel
SET DECORATOR
  Peter Walpole
SUPERVISING ART DIRECTOR
  Stephen Nicholas
STAND-BY ART DIRECTOR
  Julian Luxton
PROPERTY MASTER
  Patrick Begley
CONSTRUCTION MANAGER
  Andy Smith
ASSISTANT COSTUME DESIGNER
  Yolanda Pearl-Smith
MAKE-UP SUPERVISOR
  Linda Davie
MAKE-UP ARTIST
  Sarah Wilson
CASTING ASSOCIATE
  Kirtsy Robertson
POST PRODUCTION SUPERVISOR
  Marie Brown
ON LINE EDITOR
  Matthew Clarke
COLOURIST
  Kairan Beers
2D VFX ARTISTS
  Simon C Holden
David Bowman
Sara Bennett
Alberto Montanes
Jennifer Herbert
3D VFX ARTISTS

Andy Howell
Chris Tucker
Jean-Claude Dagnara
Mark Wallman
Paul Burton
Chris Potts
Porl Parrot

DIGITAL MATT PAINTER
  Alex Fort
DUBBING MIXER
  Tim Rickettts
DIALOGUE EDITOR
  Paul McFadden
SOUND FX EDITOR
  Paul Jefferies
BRAND MANAGER
  ian Grutchfield
BUSINESS MANAGER
  Richard Pugsley
CONCEPT ARTISTS
  Bryan Hitch
CASTING DIRECTOR
  Andy Pryor CDG
PRODUCTION MANAGER
  Tracie Simpson
PRODUCTION ACCOUNTANT
  Endaf Emyr Williams
COSTUME DESIGNER
  Lucinda Wright
MAKE-UP DESIGNER
  Davy Jones
VISUAL EFFECTS
  THE MILL
VISUAL FX PRODUCER
  Will Cohen
VISUAL FX SUPERVISOR
  Dave Houghton
SPECIAL EFFECTS
  ANY EFFECTS
PROSTHETICS
  Millennium Effects
PRODUCTION DESIGNER
  Edward Thomas
EDITOR
  Mike Jones
DIRECTOR OF PHOTOGRAPHY
  Ernie Vincze BSC
ASSOCIATE PRODUCER
  Helen Vallis
SPECIAL MAKE-UP
  Neill Gorton
MODELS AND MINATURES
  Mike Tucker
INCIDENTAL MUSIC
  Murray Gold
PRODUCER
  Phil Collinson
EXECUTIVE PRODUCERS
  Mal Young
Julie Gardner
Russell T Davies
DIRECTOR
  Joe Ahearne
  Produced by
BBC WALES
WRITER
  Russell T Davies

INFORMATION
BROADCAST DATE
12 June 2005
(BBC1 19:00-19:45)

REPEATED DATE
  13 June 2005
(BBC3 19:00-19:45)

FIRST RUN UK RATINGS (millions)
Official 6.81 million
Top 100 rating 19th
DVD RELEASE
12 September 2005 (as part of Volume 4 boxset)

Online visitor hits since 13 April 2003

© www.eyeofhorus.org.uk 2015
(Extra © information visit here)

"DOCTOR WHO commentary since 1983"

Email us EDITORIAL EMAIL - We do not reply to emails

Follow us on TWITTER - eyeofhorus.org.uk on Twitter

Contact us - EDITORIAL EMAIL
Link back to HOME - EYE OF HORUS Link to DOCTOR WHO NEW SERIES 2 Link to CLASSIC SERIES 1963-96 Link to CURRENT NEWS Link to BIG FINISH AUDIO Link to EYE OF HORUS - EDITORIAL + GIVEAWAYS Link to DOCTOR WHO MERCHANDISE EMAIL - EOH cannot reply to all emails due to time restrictions