EYE OF HORUS - The independent DOCTOR WHO resource - link to front page
Link to EYE OF HORUS HOME Link to DOCTOR WHO NEW SERIES 7 Link to DOCTOR WHO CLASSIC SERIES Link to DOCTOR WHO NEWS Link to EXCLUSIVE COMPETITIONS + EDITORIAL FEATURES Link to REVIEWS - DVD + AUDIO + PRINT Link to AMAZON.CO.UK - DOCTOR WHO official store Link to SEARCH within eyeofhorus.org.uk
DOCTOR WHO SERIES ONE
SERIES ONE HOME - ABOUT THE SHOW
EPISODE GUIDE
DOCTOR WHO CONFIDENTIAL
PROMOTIONAL TV TRAILERS
CAST BIOGRAPHIES
MARCH-JUNE 2005
(aka DOCTOR WHO SEASON 27)
EPISODE GUIDE
SERIES 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 2009/10 SPECIALS
SERIES 5 | 6 | 7 | 2013 SPECIALS
THE EMPTY CHILD - This is the Empty Child but what really lies within?
10 - THE DOCTOR DANCES (Episode photos below)

"...When the ship crashes, the nanogenes escape.
Billions upon bilions of them.
But what they find first is a dead child..."

PLOTLINE (Continues from the previous week's episode)

If the threat of invasion from another country was not enough, aliens arrive during the London Blitz of World War II.

Can Britain cope? Will be fall to Nazi Germany or the visitors from another planet?

Who is the mysterious Captain Jack? Is this all too much for the Doctor to sort out?

EPISODE TEN REVIEW Spoilers ahead

After last week's absorbing and spleen-trembling (thank you, Richard Wilson) episode, which was as near perfect as perfect could ever be, could this concluding live up to expectation?

More so.

Unfortunately, the eyeofhorus.org.uk hieroglyphic rating system only goes from 1 to 5. THE DOCTOR DANCES is at least a six, if not a six-and-a-half.

Unlike the previous two-parter, Steven Moffat's crafted story has a concentrated progression of plot, with every word having layered meaning, a cast that honed in their characters and a production excellence unrivalled by any television that I have seen this year (perhaps, only the period drama, NORTH AND SOUTH matched it).

You can probably tell that I loved both episodes. It seemed like a true DOCTOR WHO four-parter, with even more pearls of wit and expertise broadcast throughout.

DOCTOR WHO: Go.to.your.room!
The patients turn away and return to their beds.
DOCTOR WHO (relieved): I'm really glad that worked. Those would have been terrible last words.

And later.

DOCTOR WHO: It's got the power of a god, and I just sent it to its room.

And even later.

DOCTOR WHO (jubilant): Everyone lives, Rose, just this once. Everyone lives.

After such a stunning script, how on earth could Christopher Eccleston leave the role? Could any acting role be as diverse, as moral, and as enchanting as that of the Doctor (or should that be Doctor Who? I not sure what I should call the character now). I believe that Moffat's scripts were Eccleston's favourite, and it easy to know why.

It was the key episode for Florence Hoath's Nancy. The twists and revelation surrounding this Blitz-time Florence Nightingale became eminently watchable, and had the viewer siding with her as she 'turns the (well laden) table' on (dirty dancing') Mr Lloyd. Not surprisingly, Nancy becomes the 'nexus-point' (the focus) for the 'empty child' (she reveals that it is her brother, Jamie). A key scene being the reuniting of Nancy and her 'wards' in the backyard Anderson Shelter. Listen and read between the lines for 'the' revelation.

It is an intriguing episode for the Doctor and Rose Tyler, pushing their friendship (I am still not comfortable about using the phrase 'relationship') into a new realm. Is there a sexual chemistry there, or is Rose just 'messing' with the Doctor's head, in that cheeky teenage way? She admires and loves being with the Time Lord (the last of the Time Lords is another matter I won't get into), but she's not in love with him. A very paternal set-up, in the way that Pertwee and Manning developed throughout the 1970s. It's the first strong male role model that she has had in her life, following the death of her Father.

Her conversations about sexuality and sex (read: the euphemism of 'dancing') were clearly embarrassing ("I'm trying to resonate Concrete!") for the Doctor but she ambushed him into admitting that he, having lived for 900 years, "must have danced" at sometime or other. This encouragement of coming out of the temporally inverted 'closet' (that sex, whilst may not be an everyday occurrence, is not a taboo subject), the Doctor even plays with her mind too (suggesting that he might even like to 'dance' with Captain Jack Harkness).

Fantastic. Subtle and slight, without the brashness of camp banter written by Russell T Davies in previous episodes.

There's little more I can add, without gushing heaped praise and superlatives (I did that in the review of THE EMPTY CHILD ) that would even make Cassandra
(THE END OF THE WORLD ) blush.

Buy, rent or steal (no, don't do that.) the DVD of THE DOCTOR DANCES . Close the curtains, bottle of new world wine, bag of Tortilla Chips, and enjoy.

Things to look out for...

DOCTOR WHO FOLKLORE The Doctor's Sonic Screwdriver has the ability to repair cut barbed wire on Setting 2428-D.

DOCTOR WHO FOLKLORE Is the Doctor Father Christmas? He purports to have given Rose Tyler a red bicycle when she was 12 (in 1999).

DOCTOR WHO FOLKLORE The Doctor has visited the 51st century weapons factories of Villengard. But did he cause the destruction of the factories?

DOCTOR WHO FOLKLORE Captain Jack Harkness reveals that he was a Time Agent but now works against the Time Agency since they wiped his mind of two years worth of memories. Time Agents have been previously mentioned in DOCTOR WHO (CLASSIC SERIES) in the Robert Holmes story, THE TALONS OF WENG-CHIANG (Episode 2, scene 8).

CONTINUTY We're still checking but this episode seems flawless!

Captain Jack and his 'sonic device'. Large, isn't it?
A typewriter taping out a message - but where's the typist?

Doctor Constantine's recordings were valuable for the Doctor's investigations.
How does Nancy save the day - and the world.
The Doctor seems happy - why?
Captain Jack to the rescue!
Nancy and the kids take refuge in the Anderson Shelter.

Review - Matthew Walter
EOH RATING

CAST
DOCTOR WHO
Christopher Eccleston
ROSE TYLER
Billie Piper
DR CONSTANTINE
Richard Wilson
NANCY
Florence Hoath
NIGHTCLUB SINGER
Kate Harvey
THE CHILD
Albert Valentine
MRS LLOYD
Cheryl Ferguson
MR LLOYD
Damian Samuels
JACK HARKNESS
John Barrowman
ALGY
Robert hands
JIM
Joseph Tremain
ERNIE
Jordan Murphy
VOICE OF THE EMPTY CHILD
Noah Johnson
COMPUTER VOICE
Dian Perry

PRODUCTION CREW
1st ASSISTANT DIRECTOR
George Gerwitz
2nd ASSISTANT DIRECTOR
Steffan Morris
3rd ASSISTANT DIRECTOR
Dafydd Rhys Parry
LOCATION MANAGER
Clive Evans
PROD.
CO-ORDINATOR
Dathyl Evans
PROD. ACCOUNTANTS
Debi Griffiths
Kath Blackman
CONTINUITY
Sian Prosser
SCRIPT EDITOR
Helen Raynor
Elwen Rowlands
CHOREGRAHPER
Ailsa Aliena-Bark
CAMERA OPERATOR
Mike Costello
Martin Stephens
FOCUS PULLERS
Steve Lawes
Mark Isaac
GRIP
John Robinson
SOUND RECORDIST
Ian Richardson
BOOM OPERATOR
  Damian Richardson
GAFFER
  Mark Hutchings
BEST BOY
  Peter Chester
STUNT
CO-ORDINATOR
  Rod Woodruff
PROD. BUYER
  Catherine Samuel
SET DECORATOR
  Peter Walpole
SUPERVISING ART DIRECTOR
  Stephen Nicholas
STAND-BY ART DIRECTOR
  Julian Luxton
PROPERTY MASTER
  Patrick Begley
CONSTRUCTION MANAGER
  Andy Smith
ASSISTANT COSTUME DESIGNER
  Yolanda Pearl-Smith
MAKE-UP SUPERVISOR
  Linda Davie
MAKE-UP ARTIST
  Sarah Wilson
CASTING ASSOCIATE
  Kirtsy Robertson
POST PRODUCTION SUPERVISOR
  Marie Brown
ON LINE EDITOR
  Matthew Clarke
COLOURIST
  Kairan Beers
2D VFX ARTISTS
  Simon C Holden
David Bowman
Sara Bennett
Alberto Montanes
Jennifer Herbert
3D VFX ARTISTS

Andy Howell
Chris Tucker
Jean-Claude Dagnara
Mark Wallman
Paul Burton
Chris Potts
Porl Parrot

DIGITAL MATT PAINTER
  Alex Fort
DUBBING MIXER
  Tim Rickettts
DIALOGUE EDITOR
  Paul McFadden
SOUND FX EDITOR
  Paul Jefferies
BRAND MANAGER
  ian Grutchfield
BUSINESS MANAGER
  Richard Pugsley
CONCEPT ARTISTS
  Bryan Hitch
CASTING DIRECTOR
  Andy Pryor CDG
PRODUCTION MANAGER
  Tracie Simpson
PRODUCTION ACCOUNTANT
  Endaf Emyr Williams
COSTUME DESIGNER
  Lucinda Wright
MAKE-UP DESIGNER
  Davy Jones
VISUAL EFFECTS
  THE MILL
VISUAL FX PRODUCER
  Will Cohen
VISUAL FX SUPERVISOR
  Dave Houghton
SPECIAL EFFECTS
  ANY EFFECTS
PROSTHETICS
  Millennium Effects
PRODUCTION DESIGNER
  Edward Thomas
EDITOR
  Mike Jones
DIRECTOR OF PHOTOGRAPHY
  Ernie Vincze BSC
ASSOCIATE PRODUCER
  Helen Vallis
SPECIAL MAKE-UP
  Neill Gorton
MODELS AND MINATURES
  Mike Tucker
INCIDENTAL MUSIC
  Murray Gold
PRODUCER
  Phil Collinson
EXECUTIVE PRODUCERS
  Mal Young
Julie Gardner
Russell T Davies
DIRECTOR
  James Hawes
  Produced by
BBC WALES
WRITER
  Steven Moffat

INFORMATION
BROADCAST DATE
28 May 2005
(BBC1 19:00-19:45)

REPEATED DATE
  29 May 2005
(BBC3 19:00-19:45)

FIRST RUN UK RATINGS (millions)
Unofficial: 6.17
Unofficial Peaked: 6.35
Official BARB RATING 6.86
Top 100 rating 18th
DVD RELEASE
15 August 2005 (as part of Volume 3 boxset)

Online visitor hits since 13 April 2003

© www.eyeofhorus.org.uk 2015
(Extra © information visit here)

"DOCTOR WHO commentary since 1983"

Email us EDITORIAL EMAIL - We do not reply to emails

Follow us on TWITTER - eyeofhorus.org.uk on Twitter

Contact us - EDITORIAL EMAIL
Link back to HOME - EYE OF HORUS Link to DOCTOR WHO NEW SERIES 2 Link to CLASSIC SERIES 1963-96 Link to CURRENT NEWS Link to BIG FINISH AUDIO Link to EYE OF HORUS - EDITORIAL + GIVEAWAYS Link to DOCTOR WHO MERCHANDISE EMAIL - EOH cannot reply to all emails due to time restrictions